Forms & Documents
The following are select forms and documents that are available for download by clicking on the item. Please call the Town Clerk/Treasurer at 540-364-4945 if additional information is needed.
To conduct a business in the Town of The Plains a Business License is required.
- Business License Application - Contact the Town Clerk/Treasurer for a current application form. A 2017 Business Licence is currently posted for your use in the News & Update section of this website.
An approved Zoning Permit is needed to accompany any Business License Appication or Building Permit.
Planning, Zoning and Subdivision
- Comprehensive Plan - Reviewed and reinstated by the Planning Commission & Town Council 2014
- Currently being reviewed and updated by the Planning Commission 2015
- Subdivision Ordinance - Added administrative approval of boundary line adjustments 2014
- Zoning and Sign Permit Application
- Rezoning, Special Use Permit, Map & Code Amendment Application & Fees - Contact the Zoning Administrator
- Subdivision Application & Fees - Contact the Subdivision Administrator
- Traffic Calming Policies - Adopted by the Planning Commission & Town Council in 2014
- 2017 Zoning Ordinance Documents: Final Zoning Ordinance & Zoning Maps. Please call the Town Office for copies.
- Fauquier County provides building inspections for the Town of The Plains. Before applying for a building permit with Fauquier County an approved Zoning Permit is needed. The Zoning Permit may also be used as application for any signs to be installed within the town. Improvements,including sighs, within the Historic District require additional review and approvals from the Architectural Review Board (ARB).